Monday, January 30, 2012

The Killing Moon

I am a pale dancer dancing through forest and time.

He has no name or age. He is just himself. He is whatever I want him to be, but he always turns out the same. Always slender, always pale. Always gentle yet unafraid. Always my hunter, as I am always his prey. True, at first, I was terrified. So I ran from the ocean to stardusty hills till I could run no more. And then I was fallen prey. He did not use a bow, a sword, an axe, a knife to slay me. He merely gazed into my eyes and thus my soul. And here he saw, my hunter saw, the frightened doe and the wild huntress all inside me. All present and accounted for, always living and dying.

We dance under the killing moon. We swim in stars. We both are waiting for the day I never leave him. We are waiting for the day when we can slay the wolves that keep us apart. Hungry beasts in my head. They howl and claw at us when we kiss. But my hunter is a stubborn one. He pulls me close, and the wolves howler louder and bite harder. He pulls me closer still because he knows I can stand the pain of tooth and claw, because I am always his huntress.

If we run hand in hand and fast enough we can evade the wolves for a little while. That is when we love and dance, lay in each others spaces and hold close the whispered terms of endearment. But it is not long before a howl breaks the sky and barks of fire shatter our glass courting.

The moon turns red and all lay still, save our beating hearts. Save my trembling hands and his words of hush to try and sooth the doe inside me.

Moon drips of blood, blood of huntress, blood of hunter, blood of doe and wolf. Shattered cries and whispered words, a dream broken and glued together and broken again; a cycle as frequent as the moon herself.

One day the wolves will be slain and the blood will drip no more. And hunter and I will love. But the killing moon still rises, and all the woods grow dark and still. Expect for beating hearts and teeth; that gnaw and gash at pale flesh.

Killing moon rises and we kiss.
Killing moon falls and we kiss still.

We kiss until the wolves call.

No comments:

Post a Comment