Friday, February 3, 2012

Saying Goodbye

I had fallen, more or less, maybe even up into a field between some mountains. And it was dark.

I felt grass on my legs. I guess I was laying down. Little things like this didn't matter right then. There wasn't a star in the sky or anything just... black.

And suddenly something came falling towards where I was. And it painted the sky. Painted it purple and blues and reds and hushed tones of silver.

I followed the path it made in the sky. Through the trees, and the tiny rivers, and more trees, I followed. I could have looked back if I wanted to, but the falling was the only thing that was giving off light. So like a moth to flame, I ran.

The Falling became Fallen and then Crash. Trees exploded and I was thrown back into bushes and bushes of thorns. Blood and the elements seem to always collided in my dreams.

Dream is the keyword, here.

The explosion wasn't loud... I wish it would have been. No sound is worse.

I laid there for a few minutes. I was uncaring. Shaken? Yes. But caring? No.

Perhaps I would have been content laying in these tangled bits of whatever these thorns were supposed to mean. Just dying slowly and easily. Que The Radiohead! "How To Disappear Completely." swimming inside my head like tiny fishes. And I thought "This is nice."

But the thought was short lived. And I was plucked from thorns by my wrist, by bones. Taken up by a slender hand, marble white...

"You're dead!" I cried in sheer disbelief. I saw him die. I was there. I couldn't do a thing... although I wanted to.

"Am I dead to you?" Prince Of Stories, gallant as ever, asked.
"N-no."
"Then, miss, I am not dead."
"I watched you die..."
"You watched a part of me die."
"Oh..."

The worst sound is no noise. The worst sound is no sound. He was bleeding, and I tried to wash it off, but all I had were dusty hands. And he was much too tall.

"It won't do any good. I stop bleeding when I wish to stop." he said, sitting down now. The thorns had somehow gone and grass was in its place. He sat cross legged, shirt and pants. Looking much younger now... my age, you could say.

Blood-like substance dripped down from his face. I hurt but I sat across from him. Arm on knee, chin in palm, starring. Probably blushing. He was giving off the light.

The worst sound is no sound. So I foolishly made my own.

"Do you...love?" a small child inside me crept up, but not too small.
"You?"
"Mmmhmm."

And he thought for a moment. His eyes sort of... far off.

"I could."
"Can you...now?"
"Patience."

I grunted in disappointment and embarrassment, mostly the latter.

"Why are you here?"
"To say goodbye."

Goodbye? No. No no no. It wasn't supposed to work like that. This isn't right. Stop it. Stop.

"Save your tears."
"No." Bite my lip, small child again.

He stood, looking slightly older. "Kiss me goodbye like a woman, not a little girl."
Blink. Blink. Blink. Deer in headlight eyes.

I did as I was told... and I would do a thousand times more.

"Goodbye isn't forever, right?" I called, as he was walking away. Voice was begging not to be left alone in darkness.

"Right."

"Can I come?"

He turned around. "No. But you can't stay here."

"I ought to go with you."

"Not now."

"When?"

"Soon."

I ran. He just stood there, peering down at me, making me feel small. I embrace him, clingling.

"Goodbye isn't forever right?"
"Right." Perhabps he was loosing paients.

"Soon?"
"Soon enough."

Gently pushed away, and made to lay down again. A kiss on the cheek.

Goodbye Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment